Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Off with the Horns and On with the Show

I'm exhausted of thinking about the process involved in applying to government job, so I'm going to let it go unless anyone ever comes across this wanting, needing, craving more I'll go into it.

Since the last post I've sent in 2 apps to organizations in D.C. so we'll see, at the very least I got the auto reply message saying the same generic gobbledygook like "Thanks so much for your interest in _____ foundation/organization but due to the astronomical amount of applications we just can't possibly send another generic follow up auto-email to all those who didn't meet every single one of our 416 skill requirements after we finally chose the ideal candidate 8 months after the deadline" I mean really? someone can't take the 3 minutes and create another one of those auto-responses? That's too much to send a bulk message to let the applicants know when the position has been filled and every member of the staff is much too busy to do that? Come on now.

Well I am grateful for the auto response after I submit because at the very very very least I know that the email went to the right place and didn't vanish into thin cyber space air. But some don't even provide that...there's just nothing, a complete lack of information...you put all of that effort into the cover letter and resume and and get nothing in response so you're just left to wonder. Of course, if you typed the email address correctly it's almost a sure thing that the app is going to end up at the proper destination. ALMOST is the key word, the first application I completed was through the organization's website with it's own system, got the "successfully submitted" email so I just sat back and waited for the phone call that never came, but the point is that a few weeks later I had a concern that I didn't fill in something right, I don't know why I thought of it weeks after, but anyway they actually have a contact email address you can ask questions, so a week after I sent the question the response was that they never even received my application...SIGH, so you see you just never know. This is a very give and get nothing back relationship I have with the job hunt. I can't wait to take, take, take with wild abandon I'll tell you that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment